Friday, January 28, 2011

And the prep continues…

Traveling to a remote area in Tanzania requires a lot of preparation. I have a long list of things I need to pack because you can’t just run out to the local African Walmart to pick something that didn’t make it into the duffel bag. There is no Walmart (at least not yet) so you have to take everything with you and I mean everything. I’m spending this weekend going through my list and picking up things I need and next weekend picking up the things I forgot to pick up this weekend. Let me tell you, the local Adventure 16 store loves to see me coming. The feelings are mutual. I love walking through that wooden door, smelling the campfire and entering “Adventureland”. That’s right, the place smells like you’re sitting around a campfire even though there isn’t anything burning for miles around. I’m sure it’s the new aroma marketing a lot of businesses have employed to get you in the mood to buy. I remember when I walked into the new Aria Hotel in Las Vegas a while back, the lobby smelled like freshly baked cookies even though grandma wasn’t back behind the slots baking up a fresh batch. You’ve got to love it.

Lately, when I walk into Adventure 16 it’s “Hi Steve! What is it today?” with a big smile. They’re smiling because, in this place, I’m a high-roller. I’ve bought jackets, insect repellent, ear plugs, gloves, socks, shirts, shorts, underwear, outer wear and that was just last Wednesday. I’m going to have to climb a lot of mountains just to justify buying all this stuff.

Right now, it’s off to bed. I’m getting up early to get in a run and some stair work. Then, it’s off to Adventure 16.

1 comment:

  1. aroma marketing seems like something i'd like to get into... But i'd actually like to see that campfire and those cookies... haha.. and, I have a great idea - you can come climb the "picos de europeos" (peaks of europe) in SPAIN and bring all that mountain climbing gear!

    ReplyDelete