Thursday, January 27, 2011

Where there's a will, there's a way.

There’s a lot to do to get ready for one of these trips. For instance, when I first mentioned that I would like to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro to my wife, she said, “Not without a will, you’re not!” Not exactly the encouraging words I was hoping for but she was right. Everyone needs a will, especially if you have kids but it’s something I had been avoiding for some reason. Actually, I know the reason…it sounds so damn final. I’ve had a hard time wrapping my head around the whole “will’ thing. Is it really time to do a will? Really?

At any rate, I called a lawyer and he came over and we discussed trusts and probate and disclaimer trusts and his fee. It’s one of the few times in my life that I’m actually glad I don’t have Bill Gate’s money. I don’t have to worry about how I’m going to dispose of billions. It was a fairly short meeting.

As we were wrapping up, my wife mentioned that we were doing this because I was climbing Mt. Kilimanjaro to which he replied, “I climbed Kilimanjaro a few years ago”. Ok, now the meeting was suddenly more interesting. Here was a guy in his mid 50’s, I would guess, and he made it to the top even though he had done something to his ankle and had actually been in a cast until a few weeks before the climb. I hesitate to even tell you this since I want you to think this is going to be an extremely difficult endeavor but in an odd way, the news was encouraging. He highly recommended using Diamox which is harmless drug which makes your blood more acidic and fools your brain into thinking your body needs more oxygen. I guess that’s how it works. No real side effects except a little tingling in your fingers and frequent urination. I can do that. He said there was a couple from Colorado on his trip who didn’t think they needed the drug until they got to about 15,000 feet and suddenly developed splitting headaches and an overwhelming urge to heave. They decided to give it a try and were good as new the next morning. Good to know. I’ve written Diamox on my “To Do” list and put a check next to “Last Will & Testament”. Now on to more immediate concerns (I hope).

1 comment:

  1. Dad - this is such great writing! And, yes, Diamox sounds like a phenomenal idea :) Maybe even the next cure for hangovers? just sayin'...

    ReplyDelete