Sunday, February 13, 2011

The first African post...

I’m in Tanzania. The Dik Dik Lodge (click) to be more precise. We got in around 9:00 PM and got to the lodge around 10:30. It’s seems to be a terrific place and I would imagine it’s even more impressive in the daylight.

Its been a very smooth 24 hours. It felt so good to stare down at the “Self Check In” monitor yesterday morning and see all 3 of my flights were scheduled to leave “on time”. The travel gods seem to be smiling down on this one. As you know, it’s been a bear of a winter in most parts of the country and thousands of flights have been cancelled over the past several months. My timing, for at least this part of the journey, seems to be perfect (knock on wood).

I had a long layover in Amsterdam and since there aren't many flights to this part of the world, I met most of the people in our group including our guide, Mark Tucker, on the plane to Kilimanjaro. It’s a great group.

I didn’t get much sleep on the plane (any of them) so I’m a little tired and jet lagged. We’re 11 hours ahead of the West Coast and basically on the other side of the world. I tried to stay awake all day so tonight I would lapse into a coma, catch up on my sleep and hopefully reset my inner clock to East Africa time. We have a meeting at 9:00 tomorrow morning and then we'll go through our gear for the climb. That's it. Sweet dreams.

1 comment:

  1. POPS! Aaaahhh, yay, you're there! I'm so jealous. I can't wait for your next post; I want to know more about Tanzania. I can't believe you didn't sleep on the plane! I can only imagine how sleepy you were that first day. Nodding off to sleep much? Hopefully you'll get a chance to post again before your climb. LOVE YOU! So good to hear you made it safe and sound!

    ReplyDelete